Federal prosecutors have charged four Bronx men in an alleged racketeering operation that they say generated at least $12 million in fraudulent Medicaid claims by billing for transportation services that were never actually provided.
The Justice Department announced August 20 that a nine-count federal indictment had been unsealed against Louis Trejo, also known as “Machete”; Kenneth Garner, also known as “KG”; Harold Stevenson, also known as “Bazz”; and Erihk Belis, also known as “Eddie.” Prosecutors say the four were members of a Bronx-based organization they called the “War Room.”
The allegations go considerably beyond ordinary billing fraud. According to the indictment as described by the U.S. Department of Justice, the defendants allegedly recruited Medicaid patients, recorded nonexistent medical transportation trips, manipulated GPS data, provided patients with cash and drugs as kickbacks, laundered fraud proceeds and, in some cases, resorted to violence against competitors.
All of those claims remain allegations. The defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.
How the Fake Medicaid Rides Allegedly Worked
The alleged operation focused on Medicaid-funded transportation for patients traveling to and from methadone clinics in the Bronx and Manhattan.
Prosecutors say members of the group recruited Medicaid-eligible patients to sign up for reimbursable medical transportation rides that were never actually provided. The patients’ information was entered into cellphones equipped with a ride-tracking application normally used by drivers to document legitimate transportation.
Instead of transporting the patients, however, members of the alleged operation used the phones to log nonexistent trips, according to prosecutors.
The indictment further alleges that the defendants used a GPS-spoofing application to falsify pickup and drop-off coordinates. That allegedly made the electronic records appear as though vehicles had traveled to the appropriate locations even when the rides had never happened.
That’s a detail I would absolutely retain because it shows readers how a modern healthcare-fraud operation can allegedly create digital evidence designed to make nonexistent services appear legitimate.
Prosecutors Say Patients Were Offered Cash and Drugs
The indictment alleges the organization needed real Medicaid beneficiaries’ information to continue generating fraudulent transportation claims.
According to DOJ, members therefore paid recurring kickbacks to Medicaid patients in the form of cash and drugs. Prosecutors allege that Trejo and Garner led the organization from at least approximately 2023 through 2025.
The charges include conspiracy to violate the federal Anti-Kickback Statute in addition to healthcare fraud, wire fraud and other alleged offenses.
U.S. Attorney Jamie McDonald said prosecutors believe the operation preyed on people dealing with addiction while diverting money from Medicaid.
The “War Room” Allegedly Operated Behind a Charity
Another fascinating detail missing from the original article is where the organization’s name came from.
Prosecutors say the group operated from an office inside Trejo’s residence that members referred to as the “War Room.” Investigators say they found an organizational chart on a whiteboard identifying Trejo as “CEO,” Garner as “COO,” Stevenson as an “outreach member manager” and Belis as “Vice President.”
DOJ also alleges the organization operated under the guise of a purported legitimate charity called the Forward Foundation.
According to prosecutors, the Forward Foundation was actually a front used to conceal the War Room’s criminal activities.
That is a much stronger EEAT addition than generic background about Medicaid because it comes directly from the indictment and gives readers specific insight into the alleged operation.
DOJ Says Competition Over Patients Turned Violent
Perhaps the most disturbing allegations concern what prosecutors say happened when multiple fraud organizations began competing for the same Medicaid patients at methadone clinics.
According to DOJ, Trejo and Garner allegedly directed members of the War Room to rob the leader of a competing Medicaid fraud ring at his home in Teaneck, New Jersey, because they believed he had millions of dollars in fraud proceeds and drugs there.
During the January 12, 2024 home invasion, prosecutors allege masked and armed participants restrained occupants with zip ties, assaulted victims and held them at gunpoint for hours.
The group allegedly failed to find the large amount of money and drugs it expected but fled with approximately $25,000 in cash and other property.
Those allegations are why the case includes charges extending far beyond Medicaid fraud.
The Defendants Face Nine Federal Counts
The indictment contains nine counts involving different combinations of the four defendants.
Charges include racketeering conspiracy, assault with a deadly weapon in aid of racketeering, firearms use, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and healthcare fraud, wire fraud, healthcare fraud, conspiracy to violate the Anti-Kickback Statute, narcotics conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy.
The racketeering conspiracy count carries a statutory maximum sentence of life in prison, while several other counts carry potential maximum sentences ranging from five to 20 years. The firearms charge against Trejo and Garner carries a mandatory minimum of seven years and a potential maximum of life imprisonment. These are statutory sentencing ranges; any sentence would ultimately be determined by a judge if a defendant were convicted.
Trejo, Garner and Belis were arrested August 20 and were expected to appear before U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert W. Lehrburger in Manhattan federal court. Stevenson remained at large at the time DOJ issued its announcement.
Multiple Agencies Investigated the Alleged Scheme
The investigation involved Homeland Security Investigations, the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the Office of the New York State Comptroller. The case is being prosecuted through the Southern District of New York’s Narcotics Unit.
For taxpayers, the case illustrates why healthcare fraud involving services that appear routine on paper can still produce enormous alleged losses. A fabricated transportation record may represent one comparatively small reimbursement, but prosecutors allege the War Room used repeated nonexistent rides to support at least $12 million in Medicaid claims over roughly two years.
The indictment is not evidence of guilt, and every factual assertion concerning the defendants’ conduct remains an allegation unless proven in court.
What to Read Next
Walmart Shoppers Cutting Back as Gas Stays Above $4 — Sales Growth Hits Slowest Pace in Over a Year
Can an Old Student Loan Really Reduce Your Social Security Check? Here’s What Older Borrowers Should Know
4 Economy Hotel Chains at the Bottom of J.D. Power’s Guest Satisfaction Rankings
Read the full article here
